Event #4

I went to Judith Hopf’s exhibit at the Hammer Museum for my final event. As soon as I walked in I saw numerous sculptures made up of brick and cement holding them together. I really appreciated how Hopf creates her sculptures with raw materials from the hardware store. This inspires me to believe that I can make beautiful sculptures.
I found it interesting how each sculpture had a different finish. For example, the penguin sculpture (my favorite) had a very smooth body and beak but its arms seemed like they were hand molded. This sculpture looks like it took a lot of time to sand down and perfect. The feet look like they were chiseled into shape where you can see the air pockets in the feet which show dimension and depth.

Penguin sculpture 
Feet sculptures




















I found the ropes hanging In the corner of the room remarkable. It was a stark difference to the rigid brick and concrete I the center of the room.


Ropes hanging from the ceiling 
The ends of the rope coming from the floor 




















What also caught my eye was the representation of todays technology. This was displayed as pictures of laptops with faces, emotions and limbs. This was really thought-provoking to me as all the faces were completely different as they all showed how technology these days can have different effects on everybody.  

One of the laptop personalities 
Another laptop personality




















The whole exhibition was one small room with 4 main features. The only other piece that I have not yet spoken about was a small flat screen tv showing a 4wd car driving up a dusty road and then somehow tilts on its side and is driving only on two wheels. This brought movement to the whole exhibit.


Car driving on its side



I can truly say that the Judith Hopf exhibit was my favorite exhibit I visited for this class. I would recommend this event to the rest of my classmates and friends.


Me in the exhibit with a Hammer employee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medicine, Technology and Art

stellasDESMA9

Neuroscience + Art